[pypy-dev] Re: Looking for a thesis

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Mar 10 10:48:48 CET 2006

Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> my name is Antonio and I'm studying computer science at university of
> Genoa (Italy).
> Since I need a thesis for graduating and since I love Python very much
> I'd like to contribute to the pypy project, if you think I could help.

Cool!

> I have already read the online docs and I have played a little with
> the current version of pypy.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1) do you think I could help the project, as I hope?

Sure.  Will you be able to make it to a sprint?

> 2) what tasks do you think could be suitable for a thesis? Obviously
>    before begin coding I have to discuss with my professor to decide
>    if the task if not too big or too small for our purposes.

There are so many things you could look at... what are your interests?
Off the top of my head I can think of: tuning GC parameters, working
on alternate representations of app level types (e.g. using the bottom
bit of a 'pointer' to mark a integer), exploring threading models,
doing stuff with the greenlets/tasklets/coroutines interface, working
on interfacing to external functions, ...

And as Christian says, how long do you have?

> Sorry for my far-from-perfect language, but as you could have guessed
> I am not a native speaker :-).

It looks fine to me!

Cheers,
mwh
(the only paid PyPy-er who is a native english speaker)

--
  The bottom tier is what a certain class of wanker would call
  "business objects" ...                      -- Greg Ward, 9 Dec 1999