[pypy-dev] Comparing PyPy with CLR

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Mar 12 15:14:27 CET 2006

Hi Jiwon,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:02:31AM -0800, Jiwon Seo wrote:
> Anyway, I'll just shoot it :) Comparing PyPy to CLR,  what is the
> strength of PyPy with respect to multi language support?

It's difficult to compare that directly.  Our goals are not to support
language interoperability.  PyPy is not a platform.  I'd say that we are
first aiming at supporting platform- and execution-model-independance
for *one* language at a time.

In other words, we can take the Python interpreter and compile it to
various platforms, with stackless support, with different GCs, etc.  We
can also take another interpreter -- e.g. a Ruby interpreter written in
RPython -- and do the same with no extra efforts.  But we have no magic
solution to help this Python and this Ruby interpreter interoperate in
the same application.  The only advantage of PyPy in this problem is
that writing some interoperability code is easier in RPython than in C,
and then you can also compile the interoperability code to multiple
platforms.  But you still have to write it first the "traditional" way
(I have some long-term plans about what could be done about this, but
that's another topic :-)

A bientot,

Armin