[pypy-dev] CLI code generation

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Mar 20 15:15:20 CET 2006

Hi Antonio!

just a few things that were not mentioned yet.

First of all: would you like to have your code live in the "official"
pypy-dist directory (Holger proposed using your user directory)? If yes
that would mean that you had to agree to license your code under the MIT
License (and to promise to follow the coding-guide and to write tests
:-). That would mean that much more people would see what you are doing
and could provide you with pointers about possible improvements. The
most appropriate place for a cli backend would probably be
pypy-dist/translator/cli

Antonio Cuni wrote:
> holger krekel wrote:
>
>> Hi Antonio,
>> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 20:53 +0100, Antonio Cuni wrote:
>>
>>> as I said I've begun writing the .NET CLI backend; it is still very
>>> experimental but it can already compile correctly some code snippets
>>> such as the algorithm for computing fibonacci's numbers.

very cool!

>> cool!  I would be interested to hear a bit more about your concrete
>> current approach.
>

> I respond here so that other can read, if they are interested.
>
> The first decision I took is whether to generate IL code (to be
> assembled with ilasm) or C# code: I choose the first mainly because C#
> lacks the goto statement and it would be difficult to implement flow
> control.
[snip]

Will the .NET backend use the ootypesystem (which is what gensqueak
uses) or the lltypesystem (which is what genllvm, genc and genjavascript
uses)? I guess for C# the former would make more sense, but I have no
clue how low-level IL is (I don't really have any clue about .NET at all
:-).

For simple things like arithmetic this is largely irrelevant but as soon
as it comes to any sort of data structure this is quite important.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich