[pypy-dev] CLI code generation

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Mar 20 21:43:26 CET 2006

Hi Armin,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:31 +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:39:37PM +0100, holger krekel wrote:
> > at first i also thought that ootypesystem might make sense - but then
> > i considered that the Intermediate Language is statically typed
>
> The difference between C# and IL is the same as the difference between C
> and LLVM: mostly none, for the purposes of code generation.  A C# or IL
> back-end should be based on the ootypesystem, because these languages
> have classes and objects as their primitive data structures.

Good point which i indeed had forgotten about.  Also regarding GCs
it is higher level than C.  So probably we need oo + part-of-lltypes :)

Btw, we are seriously lacking documentation in the translation area -
or did i overlook something?  There seems to be a complete lack
of even the roughtest documentation on ootypes, gensqueak,
genjavascript and - for that matter - on rctypes.

    holger