[pypy-dev] CLI code generation

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 22:29:25 CET 2006

Hi Niklaus

Niklaus Haldimann wrote:

> I'm the guy who's working a bit on the Smalltalk backend at the moment.
> I'm very interested to see how your CLI backend progresses! Ideally, all
> high-level backends (those based on the ootypesystem) should be able to
> share some code and concepts. I haven't yet put much thought into this
> while working on gensqueak, though. But if you see ways to share some
> abstractions between gencli and gensqueak, you're very welcome to share
> your ideas or refactor code. I will also watch what you are doing to
> look for opportunities to unify things.

I agree, it would be nice to share code, so that it could be reused for
future backends, too.
I have already taken a look to gensquak (it was my starting-point for
writing gencil), but I haven't studied it in deep, also because I don't
know smalltalk, so it is not easy to follow the code.

I will check in my work as soon as I have a svn account, so that you
will be able to take a look on it.

A question about the coding rules: must the translator package be
written in rpython? I've seen a lot of yield statements, so I think it's
not the case: why?

ciao Anto