[pypy-dev] Low level operations and ootypesystem

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 09:14:00 CEST 2006

Hi Samuele,

On 3/29/06, Samuele Pedroni <pedronis at strakt.com> wrote:
> this meta field can contain instances that have further fields beyond
> class_. class_ contains something of type ootype.Class, what is expected
> to be the runtime representation of a class in the backend type system,
> The extra fields are used to implement dynamically looked up class
> attributes, unless the CLI has direct support for such things, which are
> _not_ static class attributes, the simplest thing is to follow what
> the rtyper is asking for.

ok, perhaps I've understood: are we talking about things like
classmethods? Or attrbiutes like the one in the following example?

class MyClass:
  ClassAttribute = 42

class MyDerivedClass(MyClass):
  ClassAttribute = 43

> > Just a curiosity: why the name 'meta' instead of 'class' or 'type'?
>
> to avoid simply thinking that is the type/class in Java/JVM etc sense.
> This is more similar to smalltalk metaclass.

I don't know smalltalk... are smalltalk metaclasses similar to the python ones?

ciao Anto