[pypy-dev] List and string in ootypesystem

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:06:36 CEST 2006

Hi,
I've spent last hours reading sources in the rpython directory, trying
to deeper understand how lltypesystem and ootypesystem work: I've
noticed that the low level representations of strings and lists are the
same in both typesystem.

My question is: is it a design choice or nobody has not refactored that
part, yet?

I think that if a target natively supports classes and other object
oriented constructs probably it supports strings and sequences, too, so
we should try to use these facilities as much as possible.

I don't remember which people are working on ootypesystem, but if they
agree I could try to refactory such things.

If I have understood the source well I should begin by adding 'rlist'
and 'rstr' to the list of lazily imported modules in
rpython.typesystem.TypeSystem, shouldn't I?

thanks for the attention

ciao Anto