[pypy-dev] Seeking students for the Summer of Code

Brian Jones mojobojo at gmail.com
Thu May 4 08:29:35 CEST 2006

On 5/3/06, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 12:15:33AM -0700, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> > The earlier you submit an application, the more feedback you can get
> > to improve it and increase your liklihood of getting accepted.
>
> I'd like to emphasis this point too :-)  The proposals need to somehow
> give the impression that they are yours, and that your are interested in
> them and have some idea about what is involved.  Feel free to discuss
> ideas here, and submit proposals early -- you'll get early feedback from
> us too, and you can update your proposal any number of times until the
> deadline.  Basically, just copy-and-pasting one of the paragraphs from
> http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/independent-project-ideas.txt
> is *not* enough for a proposal!

Hello everyone,

I have some questions/problems I'd like to pose in regards to SoC and
applying to do a PyPy project.

For starters, I am on my second semester of studying abroad in Japan
right now, and the semester ends around the beginning-middle of
August.  I feel that I have plenty of time to devote to a PyPy
project, however, many projects I have looked at seem to have a rather
strict "This is your #1 priority" policy.  This makes sense of course,
most of the students applying are probably going into summer break
right now.  Does this stack against me?

Next, most of my programming experience to date is focused around
higher level languages (Python, Ruby), and my C knowledge dates back
to earlier low level CS courses.  I feel comfortable writing something
in any language, but would of course be much slower writing C code
until I kicked some rust off.  I would also want to note that my
degree isn't computer related at all.  Are either of these another
hinderance?

Last, is of course a project plan (or lack thereof).  I was pointed at
PyPy by Chris when I inquired about Stackless several months ago, and
have had kind of a backburnered interest in both for awhile now.  I
would love to contribute to either project, but I really have no idea
where my 'niche' would be.  Pickling process states so that they can
be handed across multiple machines is interesting to me, and even more
interesting would be machines with a different target language.  I've
always liked the idea of platform/language independent objects,
although I've never had any idea for practical use (beyond something
like wildly dreaming game development).

I suppose that even if I cannot participate in SoC, this email is
probably a nice start in regards to getting to know the PyPy
community.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Jones