[pypy-dev] llvm backend

Eric van Riet Paap eric at vanrietpaap.nl
Wed May 24 10:02:30 CEST 2006

Hi Simon,

llvm-gcc is used to compile the external function  C code (that
genllvm shares with genc) to a .ll file.
The code in llvm/demo does not seem to work at the moment, sorry for
that :( It looks like a circular dependency issue.
You assumption about running the files in ..../demo with regular
python is correct, however the run.py is respronsible for the
invokation of genc/genllvm in this case so you would have to do
something like: "python bpnn.py".

About your other mail about genllvm:

We indeed explored the usage of llvm's jit feature with
ExecutionEngine.ParseAssemblyString but the use of this is currently
limited to pypy/jit/codegen/llvm , where genllvm generates .ll code
that gets added to the llvm jit with the execution engine.

The steps the genllvm follows are:
- (when necessary) create a .ll file out of genc's external function
c code (one day to be replaced by (r)ctypes code)
- generate and attach our source file
- run llvm-as to convert the .ll to a .bc file
- run opt to optimize with llvm's transformation
- generate (a) assembly with llvm's native (x86) backend or (b) c
code again with llvm's c backend
- in case of b we run this code through gcc to further (profile
based) optimize and create the final executable.

I can image this information is a bit to dense so if you have any
more questions please ask them here. It's good for us to know what
people require for getting a better overview.

cheers
Eric