[pypy-dev] Slight worries

Jacob Hallén jacob at strakt.com
Wed Oct 11 01:53:04 CEST 2006

I try to follow the discussions on IRC regularly, and I have some worries
after what I have seen in the last couple of weeks.

There seem to be too many problems with broken checkins. The translation
breaks, tests stop working etc. While I understand that running tests takes
an enormous amount of time, it worries me that we have to fix things on the
trunk so very often. I think this eats up time that could be better spent.

If people need to leave testing for automated tests, there ought to be a less
disruptive way of doing this.

Of course I may be wrong, and this is really the optimal way of moving
forward, but the I would like to be reassured that it is that  way.

A second thing that is bothering me is that there does not seem to be a
canonical list of software that our development system is designed to work
with. I feel that this is important. It is difficult enough to make things
work with a specific set of tools. Currently we should be making sure that
things work with one set of tools and the generalization to various different
versions of pygame, grapviz, gcc and whatnot can happen later. I know this is
not quite attainable, since preferred versions of the various tools don't
work on all platforms, but I hope you see the core point. Trying to make
things work with all possible combinations of peripheral software will just
generate lots and lots of work. We need a public stance on what we support.

Jacob Hallén