[pypy-dev] Releasing the GIL in CPython extensions?

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Wed Apr 11 14:07:47 CEST 2007

>> It's easy enough to call the PyGIL_ functions manually from rpython..

> That might well be, but that does not release PyPy's GIL when the module
> is used together with PyPy.

OK, but overall it sounds like, if one were to write an CPython extension using RPython programming style so that the critical parts are translated to C, one CAN release the CPython GIL and thereby take advantage of multiprocessors for threading. My understanding from the second comment above is that this extension would not have the GIL-releasing ability when the module is used with PyPy.

The docs say that the extension-writing ability is beta and that "bugs and rough edges are likely." Are there any estimates as to when it might be fairly stable?

Thanks,
Gary

--

Gary Robinson