[pypy-dev] Who's developing language interpreters in PyPy

Maurice Ling mauriceling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 02:24:40 CEST 2007

Thanks Leonardo

>> Personally I have some interests in a few languages that I know,
>> such as
>> R and pascal.
>>
> Pascal should be easier to do, but you have to tell us exactly what
> you want. If you are planning to do a pascal compiler it would be the
> first compiler in pypy. If you are thinking on a pascal interpreter
> this could be quite easy to do but then you need to have some problem
> with current pascal compilers that you want to fix. I think this
> could be used on teaching compilers, as understanding a pascal
> compiler written in python would be much more comprehensible than a C
> or pascal one.

I don't actually use Pascal these days but it's just the first
programming language I learnt. So it's more like a childhood dish kinda
thing, just refuse to let it go completely although I do agree with you
that a Pascal compiler written in Python will be more comprehensible
than one written in C or Pascal. And it may just seems oxymoronic to
think about implementing a C compiler in PyPy.

My current langauge kit is Python/C/Java/R/SQL/UML. So I presume there's
a bit more interest in R than in pascal and implementing a R interpreter
in python will reduce the need for RPy in many cases (I think).
Otherwise, I may go on a total tangent and try working on
modeling/simulation languages like Modelica/SBML  combination or even a
UML simulator in RPython, which may be more useful to my future employment.

So yes, I'm kinda polling interests here... Any suggestions?

Thanks
Cheers
maurice