[pypy-dev] Who's developing language interpreters in PyPy

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 23 21:13:36 CEST 2007

"Martijn Faassen" <faassen at startifact.com> wrote in message
news:f0hsqn$d4b$1 at sea.gmane.org...
|Numpy appears to be the official merger between Numeric and Numarray.

*is*, insofar as anything is 'official'.

|It sounds a bit odd to use Numeric for the implementation of R that way,
|but it'd make sense to be able to do so, right?

'R' is both a (statistics/data analisis) language and an interpreter
system.  (I have not used it but read some some time ago.)  The latter, I
presume, is implemented in some combination of C and Fortran, as are NumPy
and SciPy.  I would not be surprised if the R system used some of the same
libraries (BLAS, LinPack, FFTPack, etc).  So, if the array concepts are
compatible, it make perfect sense to me to base an alternate implemention
of R the language on NumPy and the R functions that are already in SciPy.

The motivation would either be a) proof of concept of PyPy as a general
platform for implementing dynamic languages or b) an implementation with
value-added for users (free (if R is not yet), open-source (ditto), access
to other Python facilities).

| Naturally PyPy wouldn't be able to use its magical optimization abilities
on those bits

Many to most of 'those bits' have been heavily optimized already, which is
why to use them.

Terry Jan Reedy