[pypy-dev] Who's developing language interpreters in PyPy

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Apr 24 10:58:19 CEST 2007

Robert Schmitt wrote:
> What about a C/C++ interpreter/compiler, there would be some real
> benefit if people could transpile C code to python.

To be honest, I don't see how a C-to-Python-compiler a) relates to PyPy
and b) why it would be useful. What real benefit do you see there?
Interfacing to C/C++ code is not that hard in CPython, and PyPy is
getting there too. Such a compiler would also be quite hard, since C/C++
allow all sorts of crazy unsafe things, so you would end up doing
something like described in the paper "Complete Translation of Unsafe
Native Code to Safe Bytecode" by Brian Alliet and Adam Megacz.

> Plus, there's an
> existing C interpreter project out there, maybe there is a way to
> reuse some parts or at least some ideas of it.

You mean CINT? Quite crashy, in my experience. Which does not make it a
less impressive (but very very crazy) thing :-)