[pypy-dev] PyPy JVM Backend

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Sat Apr 28 21:02:55 CEST 2007

Hi Armin!

Armin Rigo wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 07:56:11PM +0200, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
>> If another placeof pypy still uses os.open I am strongly
>> for fixing that.
>
> There is the app-level os.open(), which of course uses the interp-level
> os.open().  It means that if a backend only supports streamio, we can't
> easily provide the low-level os functions at app-level.  This is
> probably fine, though: I think that Jython doesn't have them at all, for
> example.  (Also, I guess that someone in a reverse-hacking mood could
> rewrite the interp-level code implementing os.open() to use streamio if
> necessary...)

That's more or less exactly what I meant by the following:

"I think it is
perfectly reasonable to not have os.open and friends on pypy.net as long
as file works. If another placeof pypy still uses os.open I am strongly
for fixing that."

But it was probably confusing, because it mixed the applevel os.open
(first occurrence) with the interplevel os.oppen (second occurrence).
Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich