[pypy-dev] PyPy JVM Backend

Maciek Fijalkowski fijal at genesilico.pl
Sat Apr 28 21:14:57 CEST 2007

Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 07:56:11PM +0200, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
>
>> If another placeof pypy still uses os.open I am strongly
>> for fixing that.
>>

> There is the app-level os.open(), which of course uses the interp-level
> os.open().  It means that if a backend only supports streamio, we can't
> easily provide the low-level os functions at app-level.  This is
> probably fine, though: I think that Jython doesn't have them at all, for
> example.  (Also, I guess that someone in a reverse-hacking mood could
> rewrite the interp-level code implementing os.open() to use streamio if
> necessary...
That includes os.dup and few others (I can imagine implementing os.dup
using streamio, but that would be insane reverse-hacking mood).

Probably one good step would be to make our tools (mostly py.test) work
without applevel os.dup and friends (it uses it in few places, also for
capturing, but that's quite shallow and capturing can be even tuned with
options).