[pypy-dev] Javascript Frontend (and mybe some unrelated future plans)

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:22:22 CEST 2007

I've been on a cave for some time, but I want to get back to work
more on pypy but I don't know what to do with the javascript
interpreter.
While I was working with it it was getting better but almost all the
architecture work i've done alone and I'm not happy with the results.
The code looks kinda ugly and I don't really know how to get it into
a good shape. Maybe I need someone to take a look at it.
Also there is some stuff that I don't know what to do about like
automatic semicolon insertion and regexes. And them there is the
stuff that I really think is essential but that is missing wich is a
simple RPython API to make native objects to javascript (that we
could use to implement DOM, Regexes and XMLHttpRequests using rsockets).
All those are internal architectural problems, them there are the
external ones like, who would like to use our javascript interpreter?
Web javascript guys for testing and to make their tools using js, or
people wanting to know how to make an interpreter on top of pypy
(people always says that a scheme interpreter would be easier for that).

So those are my troubles with the js interpreter, as it is now I
don't know what it adds to the pypy project. But I'm always a mail
away and I still track the development of pypy and can maintain it. I
still want to work more with pypy, just don't know what to do with
the js frontend now. Maybe I should take another part of pypy to work
with, I want to know what you guys have to say about all that i've
written.

As always I want to express my gratitude to everyone as you all
really helped me a lot. I learned so much working on pypy, I don't
know what to say but thanks.

best wishes,

--
Leonardo Santagada