[pypy-dev] System calls in Java

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:54:58 CET 2007

So, there are a few system calls that I don't think Java supports, but
Python does.  So far I have found getpid() and setenv(), but probably
I will run into a few more.  Rather than implement the native wrappers
required myself, I was considering linking against a pre-written
library.  I found two, jnios, used by Jython, and jtux, which seems a
bit more general.  The Jython wrapper is a bit problematic because it
relies on a lot of Jython classes for building tuples and things.  I
haven't experimented with jtux yet, but it seems to be a
straightforward wrapper.  The biggest problem is that it does not have
lots of easy-to-download-and-install jar files available for various
platforms.

	http://basepath.com/aup/jtux/

The idea would be that if the library were not present on the
CLASSPATH, everything would continue to work except those methods that
require extra support.

Does this make sense?  Anybody have a better idea?

Niko