[pypy-dev] thunk object space : become() quirks

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 12:27:32 CET 2007

Boris Borcic wrote:
> Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
>> Hi Boris,
>>
>> Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

>>> It's a bug, I have a clue where it is and will try to fix it. Thanks
>>> for reporting! Yes, the list is completely appropriate.
>>
>> Some updates on this thing: We discussed the problem extensively on
>> the sprint and the think is that this shows a serious problem with the
>> way the thunk object space is done. We have no concrete clue how to
>> solve it yet. Thunks themselves are also affected by this bug, but
>> only in more extreme situations.
>>
>> I created an issue in the bug tracker for this:
>>
>> https://codespeak.net/issue/pypy-dev/issue332
>
> Well, I wouldn't have recognized the issue if you hadn't told me it's
> the same :) Thanks for the followup, glad to be of some help, sorry for
> the seriousness of the problem. Mmmh... I was going to ask whether it
> made sense for me to try implementing my algorithm idea with unification
> from the logic object space instead, but the (doc for the) latter seems
> to have vanished (while a surprise Prolog interpreter popped up, to be
> sure; fun stuff).

The logic object space was removed during the cleanup sprint, we
couldn't maintain it. Even if it were there, it would have had the same
problems as the thunk object space :-).

The Prolog interpreter is there for a while, I wrote it for my Bachelor
thesis. It doesn't interact with the Python interpreter yet though
(which would be quite an interesting project, but I don't really have
time for it right now).

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich