[pypy-dev] Roadmap draft

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 15 02:49:15 CET 2007

"Carl Friedrich Bolz" <cfbolz at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:4762D21A.3090903 at gmx.de...
| Hi all!
|
| Just to inform you a bit: Several PyPy developers have sat together and
| worked on a very rough roadmap for what tasks need to be done to make
| PyPy a realistic replacement for CPython. The work is going on here:
|
| https://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/planning/roadmap/

Looks like a good start.

| We plan to work on this some more in the next days. As soon as it is in
| a more finished state we will ask write a mail to pypy-dev again and ask
| for general feedback.

An idea for your consideration:

- Target Python 3.0 for 'production' PyPy.

Rationale:

It looks to me that the road to production PyPy will take several months --
about the time until 2.6 and possibly 3.0 are released.  You are currently
'behind' at 2.4, working on catching up to 2.5.  If you do release a 2.5
version, you will soon if not immediately be behind again.  Leapfrogging
would put you up to date and probably ahead of the other ports.

2.6 will have all the new 3.0 stuff that will fit without breaking
anything -- but without any of the 3.0 deletions that balance the
additions.  It will be a relatively
bloated and confusing release that newcomers should probably skip over.
Parsing 3.0 should be easier with fewer alternatives, including no
__future__s.

Some of the new 3.0 stuff, such as most of the new IO system (io.py) is
written in Python.  So you get that much for free.

If there are any showstoppers in 3.0 with respect to alternate
implementations, now is the best time to find out and let Guido, etc, know.

While there will be a 2to3.py for at least partly converting Python code,
there is not, as far as I know, anything similar for C code using the C
API.  I expect (but could of course be wrong) that some of the people
maintaining wrappers of C libraries might consider a 3.0 version to be a
good time to switch using ctypes if they have not already.  I am assuming
that a complete cytpes module will be part of a production release, so that
it will have relatively easy access to compiled shared libraries.

Terry Jan Reedy