[pypy-dev] Microbenchmark plots

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Dec 19 18:39:29 CET 2007

Hi all,

Michael has been running microbenchmarks on the tuatara machine (a
PowerPC OS/X) for quite a while now.  In case you don't know them, they
are at http://tuatara.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/benchmark.html.  Now I've
plugged this information through a CGI script using gnuplot, and it
gives this: http://wyvern.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/~arigo/plots.html (lower
is better).

In the last couple of days it was a useful tool to find out a few
mistakes we made over the months - notaby, several innocent-looking
checkins that disabled some useful optimization as a side-effect.  As
you can see on the right edge of the graphs, as of today - with these
mistakes corrected - we are faster than ever on Richards and Pystone,
and our custom GCs beat Boehm hand-down, too.

A bientot,

Armin