[pypy-dev] Roadmap draft

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Dec 20 09:22:27 CET 2007

Jacob Hallén wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Martijn, some comments below
[snip]
> The roadmap is part of a multi step process. After we get acceptance from
> people in the project on where we want to go, the next step is outlining how
> to get there. I hope that people will conclude that the best way to go about
> things is to make a series of releases, but we will see. Releases take a lot
> of effort and there is a balance to strike between producing and releasing.

Yes, I'm talking about a roadmap for the roadmap. :) Just making clear
that the hard part is not so much in deciding what you would like to
produce in the end, but in coming up with a way to get there. This will
also be an iterative approach with adjustment along the road.

>> To get to a list of projected releases, you could restrict your
>> ambitions along various dimensions. For instance, you could focus on
>> only supporting one or a limited amount of backends for a first release.
>> Or you could defer erformance optimizations. Alternatively you could
>> restrict the amount of libraries you are going to implement (this is
>> already in the roadmap, but on the other hand the support for a GUI
>> toolkit is in there too). I'm sure other dimensions exist that I can't
>> even think of.
>
> I think the roadmap is a set of restrictions. To be a viable replacement for
> CPython, there is a single backend that needs to be supported. We are not
> focusing on the JVM or .NET in this roadmap and we are not talking about
> support for other languages.

Support for other languages is indeed not in there - this is a roadmap
for CPython replacement, after all.

Ah, wait, I see two end-goals in here, something I missed previously:
cpython replacement and jython/ironpython replacement. I had at first
thought everything in this directory was part of a single roadmap, but
apparently it is not?

> For libraries, I think that is something that is
> absolutely necessary in order to get traction among Python users. While it
> would be nice if someone comes along and ports a GUI library, I don't think
> we can count on that happening. It is in any case a task that belongs near
> the end of a timeline with releases.

Yes, my point was that you don't have to wait until you cover a good
portion of libraries yet. Before that's completed you can already do
quite a few releases and get people contributing.

> So, the roadmap reflects our current understanding of what we have to do to
> have a system that can attain critical mass and become a major Python
> implementation, hopefully supplanting CPython one day. I am certain we will
> have reason to revise the roadmap along the way, dropping some tasks and
> introducing others. Unfortunately, there are a large number of things that
> have to get done, but that is to a large extent the consequences of Python
> being a fairly old and well established programming language.

I never doubted there was still a large amount of things to do. It's
good that these things are being explicitly identified now.

Regards,

Martijn