[pypy-dev] Roadmap draft

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 15:21:38 CET 2007

Hi Holger,

2007/12/20, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.de>:
> Hi Carl Friedrich, all,
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 19:57 +0100, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> > Just to inform you a bit: Several PyPy developers have sat together and
> > worked on a very rough roadmap for what tasks need to be done to make
> > PyPy a realistic replacement for CPython. The work is going on here:
> >
> > https://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/planning/roadmap/
> >
> > We plan to work on this some more in the next days. As soon as it is in
> > a more finished state we will ask write a mail to pypy-dev again and ask
> > for general feedback.
>
> As i mentioned to you on chat, i see many of the files in the
> above directory as goals, coarse- or fine-grained and sometimes
> depending on other goals.  They can be used to construct roadmaps out
> of it which then should also include release plans etc - as it stands the
> discussion can easily get confused there.  IOW, I'd like to
> get to more clarity both for internal, project and outside
> communication purposes.

Could you be a bit more specific what your point is, e.g. which
specific files you mean? I agree that not everything is clear yet, but
I don't think that things are completely confusing.

To restate: I think a task is a concrete thing to do, including steps
etc. while a goal is a largeish collection of tasks. Right now I think
we should collect goals and tasks that we think we can manage in the
mid-term. Exactly which of the tasks should be made into releases is
an orthogonal issue, IMO. Maybe we could add a new kind of file
release-XXX.txt that points to various tasks? On the other hand I am
not sure it makes sense to plan more than one release ahead.

To say a bit about the next release: My opinion is (and I think others
agreed during the Gothenburg sprint, see
http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2007/11/sprint-discussions-releases-testing.html
) that the next release should be really mostly a compliance and
testing release. Which means that to make the release we should set up
better test infrastructure and test "real-world-applications" on
PyPy's Python interpreter, as well as write some mid-sized apps for
our special features. In a sense that would be a rather boring release
with mostly only many incremental features but on the other hand with
a lot of stability improvements. How does this sound?

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich