[pypy-dev] PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (12-19th January 2008)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Dec 31 17:35:36 CET 2007

         PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (12-19th January 2008)
..                             image:: http://www.ermina.ch/002.JPG

The next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the
fifth time.  This is a fully public sprint: newcomers and
topics other than those proposed below are welcome.

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

* Like previous winters, the main side goal is to have fun in winter
  sports :-) We can take a couple of days off for ski; at this time of
  year, ski days end before 4pm, which still leaves plenty of time
  to recover (er, I mean hack).

* the overall idea of the sprint is to continue working on making PyPy ready
  for general use.  A few more specific tasks:

  - app-level ctypes: getting to a basically usable point
    would be really nice.

  - JIT: there is a long-standing timeshifter refactoring,
    towards making the JIT be more interpreter-like.  Starting
    it during the sprint might be a good way to share some of
    the knowledge of how the JIT really works.  Alternatively,
    we can work on supporting ootype in the timeshifter.

  - Testing: e.g. we run various nightly test runs but the
    results are not summarized in a single page yet.

  - LLVM: llvm 2 is now at version 2.1 and nicely stable
    again.  Our llvm backend has improved in the last few
    months, but refactoring it together with the genc backend
    to share code more directly would be a nice task.

* We are open to all sorts of other tasks during the sprint, just
  propose something.

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before".  Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a very spacious
pair of chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast:
http://www.ermina.ch/.  The place has a good ADSL Internet connexion
with wireless installed.  You can of course arrange your own
lodging anywhere (so long as you are in Leysin, you cannot be more than a
15 minute walk away from the sprint venue), but I definitely recommend
lodging there too -- you won't find a better view anywhere else (though you
probably won't get much worse ones easily, either :-)

I made pre-reservations in the Chalet, so please *confirm* quickly that
you are coming so that we can adjust the reservations as appropriate.  The
rate so far has been around 60 CHF a night all included in 2-person rooms,
with breakfast.  There are larger rooms too (less expensive) and maybe the
possibility to get a single room if you really want to.

Please register by svn:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2008/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

You need a Swiss-to-(insert country here) power adapter.  There will be
some Swiss-to-EU adapters around - bring a EU-format power strip if you
have one.

Exact times

Officially, 12th-19th January 2008.  Both dates are flexible, you can
arrive or leave earlier or later.  We will give introductions and
tutorials depending on who needs them, either on the 13th or the 14th.

-+-

Carl Friedrich, Armin