[pypy-dev] Status of pypy-c under Windows

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:10:48 CET 2007

Hi all!

As we agreed on #pypy-sync, I've spent the last days in investigating &
testing the translation of pypy-c under Windows.

My box runs Windows XP SP 1 under vmware. To get a C compiler I
installed the C++ package of Visual Studio .NET 2003; maybe it could
work also with other version of Visual Studio, I don't know.

Surprisingly enough, the translation of pypy-c worked out of the box
:-). I only had to install the windows version of boehm using the howto
in the docstring of goal/win32/gc_path_windows.py, then ./translate.

Then, I ran the lib-python tests against pypy-c.exe. The results are here:

http://codespeak.net/~antocuni/pypy-c-win32-results/

Some of the failures are quite easy to explain (for example, test_thread
fails because threading was disabled :-)), some other are very strange.
Btw, more than 90% of tests passes.

To run the tests I had to manually disable test_mailbox.py, because it
couldn't cleanup the @test directory it creates and this caused next
tests to fail. I tried to investigate a bit in that direction, then I
remembered that windows sucks and I gave up :-).

ciao Anto