[pypy-dev] Running untrusted code in pypy

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Tue Feb 20 04:14:05 CET 2007

James Matthews wrote:
> How can you detect such code running ( all the bad code)

A complicated topic that can't be covered in a brief email but Python used to
have a security model/features:

   http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/lib/restricted.html

but there were ways to escape the sandbox.  Perhaps they could be closed but
no one had the time to carefully study the matter, so it was disabled in 2.3
and I believe removed in 2.5.

Brett Cannon is re-opening the matter.  You can read about his approach at:

   http://tinyurl.com/2sh55f

Many in the Python community are excited because it will finally bring
capability-based security to Python, if it works.

There is also some cross-pollination of ideas re capabilities with the
one-laptop-per-child project, who recently published their security model.
They have a lot of Python code to secure, in a potentially hostile
laptop/network environment.  You can read about their model at:

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

Ask Ivan Krstić about Bitfrost, whose development he led.  He is giving the
opening keynote at PyCon on Friday morning.

-Jeff