[pypy-dev] Does/will pypy support cpython's c extension modules?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 11:05:32 CET 2007

Michael Hudson wrote:
 > Have you seen Armin's autoctypes?
 >
 > https://codespeak.net/viewvc/user/arigo/hack/pypy-hack/autoctypes/
 >
 > Scary code, and a rather different approach :-)

and it does not work for wrapping C++ code, right?

 >> It seems kind of strange to say that PyPy can't be practical without
 >> implementing the CPython extension API, since to my knowledge IronPython
 >> will not implement it (and Jython never has) and people are afraid that
 >> IronPython will be such a great Python alternative that it will fragment
 >> the Python community.
 >
 > I don't think anyone has quite claimed that; I thought the claim was
 > that supporting the CPython API would make PyPy a practical platform
 > faster, and it's hard to disagree with that.  Whether it's worth the
 > effort involved is another question of course :-)
 >
 > The whole "interacting with the outside world" thing is a, probably
 > /the/, most significant thing between here and a practical PyPy.
 > Currently, there is no such thing as a PyPy extension module, and
 > that's something that will need to change.

Just a small addition, to not have wrong impressions: There _are_ PyPy
extension modules. They are called mixed modules (since you can mix
app-level and interpreter-level code in them). It's just that they are
not really extension modules in the sense that you can compile them
independently from PyPy and load them as a .so (or whatever) later.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich