[pypy-dev] Does/will pypy support cpython's c extension modules?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 31 11:49:32 CET 2007

Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>  > Have you seen Armin's autoctypes?
>  >
>  > https://codespeak.net/viewvc/user/arigo/hack/pypy-hack/autoctypes/
>  >
>  > Scary code, and a rather different approach :-)
>
> and it does not work for wrapping C++ code, right?

Well, I don't know; it works by compiling snippets of C++ so maybe it
has a chance...

>  >> It seems kind of strange to say that PyPy can't be practical without
>  >> implementing the CPython extension API, since to my knowledge IronPython
>  >> will not implement it (and Jython never has) and people are afraid that
>  >> IronPython will be such a great Python alternative that it will fragment
>  >> the Python community.
>  >
>  > I don't think anyone has quite claimed that; I thought the claim was
>  > that supporting the CPython API would make PyPy a practical platform
>  > faster, and it's hard to disagree with that.  Whether it's worth the
>  > effort involved is another question of course :-)
>  >
>  > The whole "interacting with the outside world" thing is a, probably
>  > /the/, most significant thing between here and a practical PyPy.
>  > Currently, there is no such thing as a PyPy extension module, and
>  > that's something that will need to change.
>
> Just a small addition, to not have wrong impressions: There _are_ PyPy
> extension modules. They are called mixed modules (since you can mix
> app-level and interpreter-level code in them). It's just that they are
> not really extension modules in the sense that you can compile them
> independently from PyPy and load them as a .so (or whatever) later.

Right yes, that's what I meant, thanks for the clarification.  Maybe I
should emphasized the _extension_ part...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I located the link but haven't bothered to re-read the article,
  preferring to post nonsense to usenet before checking my facts.