[pypy-dev] Sprint report

Jacob Hallén jacob at openend.se
Tue Jul 17 19:38:39 CEST 2007

I think this got stuck in moderation, as I sent it with a from address that
didn't match my mailinglist subscription.

Justas, Arlo Belshee and I worked on Python 2.5 compliance. We started with
the "with" statement and fairly quickly found that it seemed to work as
intended, except for the fact that the necessary "from __future__ import
with_statement" had no effect. To make this work properly, we decided to make
a clean implementation - CPython does nasty things in order to avoid
modifying the AST on the fly. This required modifying the grammar, which in
turn led to the discovery that building a parser from the grammar lacked unit
tests. We then created the neccessary test setup and made tests for the
modifications we were making for the grammar.

Then we went on to being able to insert a rule for the "with" statement into
the builder on the fly. This required more instrumentation for unit testing
and some modifications to the builder.

Finally, added a config option to allow selecting different versions from the
command line. This was essentially finished, though there may still be places
which have the Pthon version hard coded.

Jacob