[pypy-dev] Proposal of timeline

Maciek Fijalkowski fijal at genesilico.pl
Mon Jul 23 13:21:41 CEST 2007

>> Lastly, what is the easy approach to I/O and external functions?
>>

> the easy approach is to forward the external functions to the backend,
> which will take care of rendering them as appropriate (usually by
> calling an helper function written in java). This approach is already
> used to implement time.time, time.clock and os.write: you can find their
> implementation in jvm/src/pypy/PyPy.java (ll_time_time, ll_time_clock,
> ll_os_write). The code that calls these functions is in
> jvm/generator.py, method 'call_primitive'.
>
> ciao Anto

Small addition from my side. I've been playing recently with a very
naive reuse of BasicExternal infrastructure which is supporting external
objects in JS backend. Looks nice so far and I'm able to hard code some
RPython-accessible objects (in a very ad hoc manner, mind you). I don't
know Java that well, but I would be happy to help with this issue.

Cheers,
fijal

:.