[pypy-dev] Work plan for PyPy

Maciek Fijalkowski fijal at genesilico.pl
Thu Jun 14 19:28:30 CEST 2007

Armin Rigo wrote:
> * In RPython, fijal worked on a more basic replacement for rctypes,
>   called rtti (almost finished already).  It's a PyPy-specific interface
>   to call external functions in RPython.  Calls written in this
>   interface can be compiled to good C code, but testing is a bit less
>   convenient than with rctypes because rtti calls cannot be directly
>   executed on top of CPython.

This is actually rffi, not rtti (like Rpython Foreign Function
Interface). There are probably few other, unmentioned issues:

* What we do with ootypesystem backends and external functions? Right
now this is implemented by backends which tends to be a bit ugly
implementation. My idea would be to have backend-sensitive
implementations which access backend-specific RPython functions for
accessing underlaying platform classes/functions/whatever.

* Platform specifics - how much do we care about portability of a
generated C code? I've got several approaches in mind:

 - Have special kind of if which renders to #ifdef in the C code (hard)

 - There is a caching mechanism for basic types (size_t, int, etc.)
which renders sizes of types per-platform. This works for multiple
platforms, but renders generated C code non-portable. unsure if this is
a problem.

Cheers,
fijal