[pypy-dev] Work plan for PyPy

holger krekel holger at merlinux.de
Fri Jun 15 08:30:17 CEST 2007

Hi Anto, all,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 01:01 +0200, Antonio Cuni wrote:
> Finally, a note which is not related with the work plan but to a
> question that appeared in the logs; someone asked whether we want to
> "sell" RPython as a stand-alone product.
> Last sunday I gave a PyPy talk at Pycon italy and, surprisingly enough,
> RPython was perceived as the only (or the most relevant) usable product
> of the pypy project. I tried hardly to explain that rpython is basically
> only an accident and not very usable, but people are still impressed by
> the 300000% speedup.
> It would be interesting to know if this perception is world-wide or only
> limited to the attendants of my talk (maybe because I didn't stress
> enough the pros of the other pypy goals or the cons of rpython).

FYI: Last week i gave a talk at the german Zope annual meeting
(extradoc/talk/dzug2007/dzug2007.txt).  To briefly summarize:
I talked about the .NET backend, python interpreter
prototypes/speed/status and the general usability of PyPy and its JIT
for implementing other languages.  I also noted that the extension module
area is currently in flux.  Questions at the talk then were mostly about the
Python Interpreter, e.g. how to use persistence/Transparent
proxy features e.g. with ZODB.  Jim Fulton also noted that zope only
needs few extension modules and often has pure python versions of its
C-coded modules.  There wasn't a strong focus on RPython or the
ext-compiler but there was e.g. interest (prior to the talk) to port
the Zope TAL interpreter to RPython in order to use it with CPython.

Here is a thought: if our Python Interpreter becomes more usable
and can be used as a replacement for CPython in more cases, people *can*
write RPython modules for speed reasons if they want to.  Practically,
i guess, it'd then be important to untangle the compilation of such
written-for-speed extension modules from the translation of the
Python Interpreter itself.  (this all apart from the question if
a better JIT could obsolete the aim for writing RPython modules).

best,

holger