[pypy-dev] Work plan for PyPy

Maciek Fijalkowski fijal at genesilico.pl
Fri Jun 15 11:11:27 CEST 2007

I would be very, very careful about what people talk about.

Even if they talk about RPython and speed, they really don't know what
they're talking about. There are some reasons why they use python and
not ocaml or haskell for their purposes. One of the reasons is that it's
easy to write well-working python program. With rpython it's not that
easy, and we don't explain it in talks, how hard it is. Even giving
enough effort to the translation toolchain error reporting, type
inference problems are always hard to read and debug. That's why I think
RPython will never become a language of choice of most of the people
(despite few guys who know what they're doing and why).

Also I (personally) think that good enough JIT would be a way better
place to start writing speedy programs. You write it jit-friendly, you
get speedup.

 From my POV maintaining all of parts required to use RPython as a
general purpose language is a bit overkill, and people are really
interested in parts which they yet don't know they're interested in.

Cheers,
fijal