[pypy-dev] Work plan for PyPy

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Sat Jun 16 02:44:54 CEST 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:45:54 +0200
Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> Any comments or objections?  Are there people that already make heavy
> use of rctypes, or the extension compiler?

Indeed. Mainly rctypes.

As well as an ever expanding use of libc,
we recently have interfaced to libSDL and cairo for some
very funky rpython graphics apps. And we use libpython
so that we can extract stuff from python modules.
Also, we do byte shuffling with rctypes: reading binary data
to/from buffers, etc.

I hope we can do all this with rffi, but there are two really
cool things about rctypes:
1) it runs on cpython (our main app takes 30minutes+ to compile)
2) it has an automatic code generator (ctypes can autogenerate
python wrappers from C header files)

Simon.