[pypy-dev] About adding a blist implementation...

Elmo Mäntynen elmo13 at jippii.fi
Fri Jun 22 16:10:44 CEST 2007

Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> Em 21/06/2007, às 22:10, Simon Burton escreveu:
>

>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:18:59 +0300
>> Elmo Mäntynen <elmo13 at jippii.fi> wrote:
>>

>>> Since I'm adding a list implementation, I'd like to know what
>>> benchmarks
>>> have you used to test the other ones. Also, if you know apps with
>>> heavy
>>> usage of lists and some that use very long lists, I'd be
>>> interested very
>>> much.
>>>
>> Can you explain what this blist is ? Is it a btree ? I think I need
>> an rpython btree.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> I dunno but this guy is probably talking about something like this
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-May/thread.html#7127
>
> If it is not related I would also like to understand the diferences.
>
> --
> Leonardo Santagada
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Hi.
It is an list implementation that has much better performance with very
big lists, available as an extension to CPython, and soon included in
pypy by me.
This cheeseshop entry is a good place to start:
http://www.python.org/pypi/blist/

The thread might be about integrading it into CPython or something,
haven't read.

It is based on btree, but the implementation I'm working on is based on
the python prototype included in the tar distrib, which won't  probably
be useful if you specifically need a btree. In the future, maybe some
refactoring would be useful, but for now I'm happy with the way I started.

I'd still be interested in ways to test the different list
implementations =)

Elmo