[pypy-dev] Google Summer of Code

holger krekel holger at merlinux.de
Thu Mar 15 20:26:29 CET 2007

Hi Paul!

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 15:03 -0400, Paul deGrandis wrote:
> Armin,
>
> I DEFINITELY want to do PyPy summer of code.  Last year I did NMAP, but had
> to resign for another project I was a apart of, but this summer I have full
> dedication to a SoC project.  Is there anything that would be awesome to
> have done in PyPy by the end of summer?  Would you want me to work on a
> series of applications of PyPy features (like I started working on awhile
> ago)?  Would you like to see more focus on the JVM backend?

IMO bringing the JVM backend to produce PyPy interpreters
would be a great goal!  Niko Matsakis brought it close already
with his Summer of PyPy work.  In case you haven't seen it
already: you may want to take a look into the "D12" report we
just published a few days ago - it talks about higher level
backends in particular:

    http://codespeak.net/pypy/extradoc/eu-report/D12.1_H-L-Backends_and_Feature_Prototypes-interim-2007-03-12.pdf

An additional goal (if it's otherwise to easy :) would be
to bridge into java libraries and objects.  Btw, if you
have particular feedback on the above report, let us now -
we are going to finalize it next week.

best & cheers,

holger

> On 3/15/07, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >A few PyPy developers have signed up as mentors for the Google Summer of
> >Code.  Students interested in a summer project about PyPy (or any
> >Python-related project) should have a look at:
> >
> >    http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode
> >

> >A bientot,
> >
> >Armin

merlinux GmbH       Steinbergstr. 42    31139 Hildesheim
http://merlinux.de  tel +49 5121 20800 75 (fax 77)