[pypy-dev] jit.timeshifter.test uses a lot of memory

Scott Dial scott+pypy-dev at scottdial.com
Wed Mar 21 13:59:34 CET 2007

I'm not sure if there has been a recent change, but I've always noticed
that this test suite requires a lot of memory. What has brought my
attention to it especially is that I've been awake while my box has been
running the test and it brings things to a crawl with swapping :-( I
can't say for sure what the memory requirements are but it is clearly
more than what a system with 2GiB of RAM can handle. I can say I've seen
it using 1.7GiB (right before I cut it off because I needed to get some
work done).

My first thought is there is something going terribly wrong due to the
tests being run under win32, but I don't get any errors indicating that
sort of thing is going on. Is this memory usage intended? Is there
anything that can be done to reduce it? I'd hate to have to start
skipping those tests.

Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu