[pypy-dev] Forward: Dyla 07

holger krekel holger at merlinux.de
Tue May 8 08:51:38 CEST 2007

Hi Armin, hi all,

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 20:42 +0200, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Terry, hi all,

> > it)
> > |
> > | I think that it's a good place to submit a "core" PyPy paper, and I also
> > | think that your Prolog paper is independent enough to not count as
> > | another PyPy paper.  In fact I'd imagine that if we were "academic
> > | enough", at this point, several of us should try to publish several
> > | papers independently on several aspects of PyPy...
> >
> > For instance, if there is anything innovative in the JIT work, then that
> > might make a nice paper in itself.
>
> Now that the last-minute report writing is done - at least the technical
> reports - we should think about Dyla again.  Remember that it is not a
> conference but a workshop, which as far as I understand it means that
> everybody is a speaker.  We need to send in "position papers" - "we
> really think that this is the way this should be done".  The obvious
> topics for us are "nobody should write complicated {virtual machines,
> interpreters, JIT compilers} by hand".
>
> Thoughts, topics?  We have plenty of topics in and around PyPy, but
> let's keep in mind that each paper needs a "position paper" angle.

I hope we can re-use parts of our technical EU reports (most
of which haven't been published yet at a conference).
Currently I could imagine two position papers:

    nobody should write complicated VMs/JIT-compilers by hand

    interpreters should offer {security,persistence,distribution}
    features directly (instead of adding Application APIs)

Until Friday, i am still quite busy with lots of EU finalisation
issues - not sure how much i can do till then but on saturday i
could be there to work/help on the paper submissions (and it's
the submission deadline IIUC, sigh).

best,

holger