[pypy-dev] Hi all. I am Looking for a project idea.

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Nov 1 06:07:12 CET 2007

In a message of Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:03:19 -0400, amit writes:
>Hi,
>
>I went across this page
>http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/project-ideas.html
>
>My project requires me to modify an existing compiler or interpreter, or
>write a program from scratch. I could not figure out how much time it
>would take to say write an interpreter for Aldor. If someone has some
>suggestion on any idea that I could put an effort into for 4 weeks
>(that's when my project work is due) I would be very happy to learn more
>of pypy.
>
>I have fair amount of python coding experience.
>

>Regards,
>Regmee
>Univ. of Western Ontario, CA

The pypy team hangs out on irc.freenode.net in the channel #pypy.
Most of us live in Europe, so we'll already be there when you get
this mail.  All I know about Aldor is that it is a functional
language that some people use to do math.  I went here:
http://www.aldor.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and didn't learn
much because most of the links are stale.

Whether modifying pypy makes sense depends a lot on what sort of
language you would like to generate.  PyPy was designed for dynamic
langauges -- so a functional one, while not impossible, may not be the
best fit.  Do you have to produce an Aldor compiler?  The other thing
that matters is exactly what your teacher wants you to learn.  PyPy's
architecture is unique in the world, and we will be happy to talk your
ear off about why this is a) necessary and b) a great idea.  But
it may not be what your teacher is expecting, which can be either
fantastic or extremely unfortunate, depending on the teacher.

come by and talk to us,
Laura Creighton

ps - 4 of us are right now putting the polish on a presentation we
are giving to IBM Research in NY on Monday.  So we have less time to
chat than usual.  But the rest of the usual suspects will be around :-)