[pypy-dev] pypy on Tim Bray's blog

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sun Nov 11 09:14:54 CET 2007

Hi there,

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/11/08/PyPy

It might be worth it for someone to comment on it, as the one comment
there is rather negative about PyPy (it'd really help to have PyPy
interpreters in production somewhere, as before you do, the criticism in
the comment cannot be properly countered)

I'm not sure how to interpret Tim Bray's post. Frankly, I was a bit
disappointed by what made it in there. It's interesting to analyze as it
gives some clue about how your pitch was received and understood.

It's too bad the potential of a compliant, maintainable Python
implementation on the JVM doesn't seem to make it to his blog. I assume
you also pitched actual work on *Python* on, say, the JVM, to him as a
possible candidate for funding. As opposed to any arbitrary language,
which basically lets Tim change the topic to a Ruby discussion.

It's also too bad that the whole idea of instrumenting the translation
process to do neat stuff doesn't really make it to his blog post. The
tainting stuff is mentioned, but that's it. What about garbage
collectors and JITs?

Regards,

Martijn