[pypy-dev] another pypy blog entry from sun

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 15 02:02:05 CET 2007

Stephan Diehl wrote:
> just in case you don't read programming.reddit.com:
> there is another blog enty from somebody at Sun (John Rose)
> http://blogs.sun.com/jrose/entry/a_day_with_pypy

It's also interesting to read the comments on Reddit:

http://programming.reddit.com/info/60jlu/comments/

It's just a couple of comments, and the first one is quite positive, but
it also shows some of the perceptions this project has around the net as
not being very practical:

"Good to see PyPy getting some air time. For language implementation
enthusiasts, it's truly worth looking into; their on-the-fly partial
evaluation is a significant step, both conceptually and practically,
beyond the techniques pioneered by SELF. I'm losing hope that it'll ever
be much more than a research project, though, in spite of how far it's
gotten. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong!"

And the response:

"Indeed I would like to know if we can expect anything that we can use
outside of pypy any time soon."

More random comments of course, but I'll use them gladly to support the
point I'm trying to make. :)

Regards,

Martijn