[pypy-dev] Pypy and app-level ctypes

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Nov 15 02:39:07 CET 2007

Maciek Fijalkowski wrote:
> As a discussion regarding pypy being production-ready heats a bit, I've
> go a practical question:
>
> How useful would be to have app-level ctypes for pypy? Another question
> how less useful it would be if it won't provide python-api part (which
> would be as easy to provide as C-level bindings for CPython I think)?
> Also how much helps situation the fact that we have ctypes_platform
> thingie, which would help you to take away platform dependencies (ie
> will ask gcc for correct sizes of certain types, structures, #defs etc.)

If you're asking people like me, I'm afraid don't understand the details
enough to answer that one. Could you elaborate a bit more (if indeed you
are addressing people like me)?

I think I understand you're asking whether it'd be useful if you could
write ctypes-based software in software being run by the PyPy
interpreter, but I don't know what you mean by not providing the
python-api part.

Regards,

Martijn