[pypy-dev] Removal of RCTypes, the extension compiler, support for PyObjects

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Nov 21 00:00:09 CET 2007

Alexander Kellett wrote:

> Agreed, my apologies, it wasn't the best way to put it. I attempted to
> list all the various areas of interest but gave up after getting to the
> 7th knowing full well that there are many more than that... what I
> really wanted to get across was that putting *primary* emphasis on
> "production quality" would be terrible for the project in my opinion.

No problem, I'm quite often falling into this trap as well.
I was after speed in the first place, but the way the
project was started and continued, it opened a huge lot
of new opportunities, and we now really need to finish
some directions, which is actually being worked on.

Having such an amount of working tests already, I'm not
really worried about production-readiness. It is more
about completeness of needed modules, to be able to run
arbitrary Python code. But even that has gone pretty far,
already. So for me, a usable PyPy, in the sense of
"runs very many Python programs" is more like a matter of weeks,
not months.

Being completely superior than CPython in speed, correctness,
flexibility and everything is of course something that
requires many more months. But the proof of doability is there.
This should be worth enough to find sponsors, I guess.

cheers - chris