[pypy-dev] Removal of RCTypes, the extension compiler, support for PyObjects

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Nov 21 13:32:26 CET 2007

Hey,

Alexander Kellett wrote:
[snip]

> what I
> really wanted to get across was that putting *primary* emphasis on
> "production quality" would be terrible for the project in my opinion.

Why do you think that? Don't you think it's getting time after 4 years
of work? What exactly would be "terrible for the project"?

I've been trying to point out that if the project doesn't put some
emphasis on getting *anything* (interpreter, extension language compiler
or space chickens) in production, the project is not going to attract
more volunteers and it's losing credibility on getting anything in
production use at all.

The web page says that the project aims to provide two things: a
translation and support framework for dynamic languages, and "a
compliant, flexible and fast implementation of the Python Language using
the above framework to enable new advanced features without having to
encode low level details into it."

I sort of thought this implied the goal of having people actually use
it. (Perhaps it's not. In that case, I'll stop paying so much attention.
Tell me!) When I ask questions about the plan to get there, I don't get
answers. I don't get answers when they're not sprinting, because they
need to talk at the sprint first (EuroPython). I don't get answers when
they *are* sprinting as they're too busy sprinting to talk about this
stuff. Forgive me for getting frustrated.

Regards,

Martijn