[pypy-dev] [pypy-svn] r47040 - pypy/dist/pypy/doc

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Oct 3 18:56:36 CEST 2007

Hi Christian,

2007/10/3, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>:
> to what extent has this been discussed?
> If this change is not commonly approved,
> then I'm asking you to change it to a proposed
> addition to the cleanup list, but open for
> discussion.
> This is public information, and before things
> are decided upon, I dislike to see misleading
> statements, which might turn into truth just
> by pretending they were true.

RCTypes is causing problems since quite a while, I think it's not too
much to say that it seriously slowed PyPy's progress. Maybe it was a
necessary mistake to make to reach the rffi-solution we have now, of
which we think that it is a good one. rffi solves many of the problems
that rctypes had, and has mostly the same benefits: It's testable on
top of CPython, for example.

That RCTypes poses a problem is known since a long time. For a while
they were considered solvable, but that turned out to be very hard (if
not impossible). This was communicated in numerous ways, for example
this mail in August:

http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2007q3/003995.html

to which nobody replied about the RCTypes issue.

Note that I think it is fine to discuss the issue even now. But it is
very strange in my opinion to say now that it was never discussed.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich