[pypy-dev] [pypy-svn] r47040 - pypy/dist/pypy/doc

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Oct 4 03:20:51 CEST 2007

Hi Carl,

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> 2007/10/3, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>:
>> to what extent has this been discussed?
>> If this change is not commonly approved,
>> then I'm asking you to change it to a proposed
>> addition to the cleanup list, but open for
>> discussion.
>> This is public information, and before things
>> are decided upon, I dislike to see misleading
>> statements, which might turn into truth just
>> by pretending they were true.
>
> RCTypes is causing problems since quite a while, I think it's not too
> much to say that it seriously slowed PyPy's progress. Maybe it was a
> necessary mistake to make to reach the rffi-solution we have now, of
> which we think that it is a good one. rffi solves many of the problems
> that rctypes had, and has mostly the same benefits: It's testable on
> top of CPython, for example.

I do know every bit of that. This is not about the
details. It is about how we handle a concern/veto
from a valuated member. And this annoys me, the way how
we handle it.

> That RCTypes poses a problem is known since a long time. For a while
> they were considered solvable, but that turned out to be very hard (if
> not impossible). This was communicated in numerous ways, for example
> this mail in August:
>
> http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2007q3/003995.html
>
> to which nobody replied about the RCTypes issue.
>
> Note that I think it is fine to discuss the issue even now. But it is
> very strange in my opinion to say now that it was never discussed.

I think I just asked whether it was discussed at all. Please refrain
from putting things into my mouth that I did not say.

And I agree that it is fine to discuss the issue even now.

I just think it is very strange if people appear to drive
decisions for the whole consortium, when there is a complaint
and no common sense in sight. That's why I asked if I missed
a discussion and a general agreement, which is very possible.

At least as long as I'm considered to belong to this consortium,
I will always keep an eye on matters like these.
(while this consideration is questionable as well)

leaded a works committee for many years -- chris