[pypy-dev] [pypy-svn] r47040 - pypy/dist/pypy/doc

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 09:26:41 CEST 2007

Hi Christian,

2007/10/4, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>:
> Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> > RCTypes is causing problems since quite a while, I think it's not too
> > much to say that it seriously slowed PyPy's progress. Maybe it was a
> > necessary mistake to make to reach the rffi-solution we have now, of
> > which we think that it is a good one. rffi solves many of the problems
> > that rctypes had, and has mostly the same benefits: It's testable on
> > top of CPython, for example.
>
> I do know every bit of that. This is not about the
> details. It is about how we handle a concern/veto
> from a valuated member. And this annoys me, the way how
> we handle it.

I see. Well, I have to say that I was (until Simon's mail) completely
unaware of what genrffi does. And judging from what he is saying it is
not a "concern/veto" against rctypes at all, so I don't know what the
problem here is. Besides the "concern/veto" was to my knowledge never
voiced on the mailing list, so how could we have handled it?

> > That RCTypes poses a problem is known since a long time. For a while
> > they were considered solvable, but that turned out to be very hard (if
> > not impossible). This was communicated in numerous ways, for example
> > this mail in August:
> >
> > http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2007q3/003995.html
> >
> > to which nobody replied about the RCTypes issue.
> >
> > Note that I think it is fine to discuss the issue even now. But it is
> > very strange in my opinion to say now that it was never discussed.
>
> I think I just asked whether it was discussed at all. Please refrain
> from putting things into my mouth that I did not say.
>
> And I agree that it is fine to discuss the issue even now.
>
> I just think it is very strange if people appear to drive
> decisions for the whole consortium, when there is a complaint
> and no common sense in sight. That's why I asked if I missed
> a discussion and a general agreement, which is very possible.

Sorry, but the complaint wasn't even visible to me until Simon's mail.
I can only react to complaints I know about. Thus I find it strange
that you say stuff like "there is no common sense in sight". It's
possible that you knew about genrffi longer, but I didn't and I am not
sure how I am supposed to have known about it.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich