[pypy-dev] [pypy-svn] r47040 - pypy/dist/pypy/doc

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 23:02:55 CEST 2007

Hi Simon,

2007/10/4, Simon Burton <simon at arrowtheory.com>:
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:11:08 +0200
> "Carl Friedrich Bolz" <cfbolz at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > 2007/10/3, Simon Burton <simon at arrowtheory.com>:
> > > I just use a function from rctypes to find a library, i think
> > > rffi has such a function now..
> >
> > Then it should be possible to use the function that rffi provides?
>
> It's likely.

That's great. Then we should probably think about doing that so that
everybody is happy: one step closer to killing rctypes and (maybe) a
way to reuse all that ctypes stuff while still using rffi.

> > > Do people realize that genrffi allows ctypes (nothing to do with rctypes)
> > > to be used as a front-end to rffi ? Ie. instead of using ctypes
> > > (in ll2ctypes) as a backend to rffi.
> >
> > No, I was not aware of this. There never was neither a mail to this
> > list about this, nor a sprint report about the Vilnius sprint, so how
> > should people that didn't go there know?
>
> Well, this is what I wrote:
> http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2007q3/003920.html
>
> Should I have written more ? I did not want to "conclude" anything
> at that point in time.

hum, it seems I have actually forgotten that mail (I am pretty sure I
saw it at one point, I wrote the post asking for a sprint report after
all), sorry for the above then. However, it definitely wasn't clear to
me that the tool was meant for more than for transitioning the
existing rctypes code and also not that it didn't depend on rctypes.

Anyway, I think we have reached a conclusion and get back to coding.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich