[pypy-dev] Small optimization

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:37:07 CEST 2007

Hi all,

between some interesting and a lot of not-so-interesting talks here at
oospla, I also find the time to hack a bit on pypy :-).

Yesterday I tried the hand-written optimization attached to this mail;
it seems to make pystone about 6% faster; it's not much, but it's not
even so few not to take into account, IMHO. Btw, richards does not
show any improvement, as expected.

Also, it seems that it makes pypy-cli slower, at least on mono; this
is somewhat surprising, because IronPython entirely relies on this
kind of if-else if tests to dispath all operations... I would have bet
that our multimethod dispatching was slower, but it does not seems
so. I should try also on MS .NET, though.

I know that this is not the way to do such an optimization; I guess
that the correct way would be to teach the mutlimethod installer which
are the "hot" cases to test first, before going for a full dispatch;
I've not clue how to do it, though. :-)

ciao Anto