[pypy-dev] pypy with sympy

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Sat Sep 15 14:48:54 CEST 2007

Hi Ondrej,

Ondrej Certik wrote:
 > since pypy is in Debian for some time, I sometimes test it with our
 > project SymPy[1], written in pure Python 2.4 and newer. Generally, it
 > works out of the box and it's very nice and quite fast. You did an
 > awesome job!

Thanks for doing that! It's nice to hear that it's mostly working.
Indeed at one point we could probably consider to use SymPy as some sort
of benchmark for PyPy – it's not easy to find nice pure-Python programs
that are computationally bound.

 > However, sometimes, it fails, because of the bug[2], that we reported
 > two months ago. Do you think you could please apply the patch provided
 > in there, or just fix it somehow?

Thanks for reporting it. Our problem with it is that we don't quite know
how to fix it properly. Potentially, int_w itself should be calling
__int__, but we are not sure whether this is good for all use-cases of
int_w.

 > Also another question - what is your plan with your RPython to
 > javascript converter   - are you planning to create something like the
 > Google Web Toolkit, or just leave it as is, if someone becomes
 > interested? I think it would be a very cool feature to have something
 > like this in Python, just a little more documented and officially
 > released.

I think the PyPy team cannot put much more effort into this than what we
did already. So we would need somebody interested who would work mostly
exclusively on the JavaScript backend to make it live up to its full
potential.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich